WetKeys "How to Clean" FAQ
If you know how to wash your hands with soap and water, washing your keyboard can be just as easy. Please consult our General Washing Instructions for specific recommendations on how to wash your product and which cleaning agents to use.
WetKeys.com offers many brands of computer accessories.Please refer to the specific product manufacturers' information for details on how best to clean a particular item.Always observe the preparation instructions and use of all cleaning fluids and wear the appropriate protective clothing, rubber gloves or safety glasses as necessary.
Note:In order to maintain sanitary conditions, your keyboard and mouse should be washed prior to initial use.It is also important to wash a keyboard and mouse on a regularly scheduled interval appropriate for your use environment.
1. Log out and turn OFF the POWER to your computer if your product is corded (not wireless).Wireless units can be washed with batteries inside - be sure to disable the connection to the computer or accidental keystrokes may enter or delete important data.
2. Disconnect the Keyboard / Mouse. (If you are using a USB - PS/2 adapter, please remove it completely before cleaning.)
3.It is important that before you wash a CORDED product you ensure that the USB Plug (connector) is safely away from the sink and remains dry.
4. Clean the surface of the product by wiping, gently brushing, spraying or dipping it. DO NOT SOAKUnits. Use only rags, sponges or soft bristle brushes. DO NOT USE ANY BUFFING PADS, SCRUBBING PADS OR OTHER ABRASIVE CLEANERS.
DO NOT place the USB or PS/2 connector into the fluid.
5. Either wipe with dry cloth or shake gently and allow to air dry.Never hang a keyboard or mouse by its cord or damage to the watertight seal can occur.
6. Reconnect the keyboard/mouse.
7. Restart Computer.
Best Practice Wash Procedure For Healthcare
1. A washbasin should be filled with an anti-bacterial / cleaning solution suitable for sterilizing in a healthcare environment.
2. Sterilize by completely immersing and shaking it in the sterilizing solution. Actively agitate it around so that the liquid reaches every recess on all surfaces.3.The process of agitated immersion should require no more than 30 seconds to be effective. DO NOT SOAKUnits.
Soaking is unnecessary and may void your product warranty.
4. Shake vigorously to drain excess liquid and wipe dry.
5. Reconnect the keyboard/mouse to USB ports when connectors are dry.
Machine washing (Seal Shield Products ONLY):
In addition to any necessary surface cleaning or disinfecting, the Seal Shield waterproof Keyboards, Mice and TV Remote Control can also be cleaned by being fully submerged in water, sprayed with a stream of water, or placed in the dishwasher. (TOP RACK ONLY. 135F max.) Only wash in a dishwasher if the product is clearly marked Dishwasher safe.
Cleaners and Disinfectants to use:
You can use most common and commercially available cleaning fluids and disinfectants, including:
Chlorine based (max 10% solution) - e.g.Chlorox, Novalsan, etc.
DO NOT USE any Petroleum based cleaning fluids (e.g., Gasoline, Mineral Sprits, Turpentine , etc.), Acetone or cleaning solution containing in excess of 10% bleach.
THESE CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS ARE RECOMMENDATIONS ONLY AND ARE PROVIDED TO ADVISE YOU OF SUGGESTED CLEANING METHODS. WetKeys CANNOT ASSUME ANY RESPONSIBILITY RESULTING FROM THE APPLICATION OF THESE CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS, PLEASE CONTACT WetKeys BEFOREUTILIZING THESE CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS.
For Healthcare environments:
Your facilitys infection control procedures always take precedence over any of the above procedures.Consult your local health department, the Centers for Disease Control or National Institutes of Health for more information on proper medical hygiene. (Chris: create links to both of these organizations)
Local Health codes or industry protocols must be followed.Contact the National Sanitation Foundation at www.nsf.org for additional recommendations.
Any governing body with jurisdiction over sanitation and sterilization requirements for your industry or geographic location must be followed over any of the above procedures.
Known material incompatibilities exist between certain plastics, silicones and their solvent counterparts.Silicone lubricants must be immediately washed off of silicone-rubber keyboards or permanent damage will occur and void your product warranty.If in doubt, contact [email protected]. Remember, even though a WetKeys keyboard and mouse are among the most durable computer products made, they still contain delicate and sensitive equipment and switches inside that can be damaged through inappropriate handling.